Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The "local" Church

Any attempt to follow Christ outside a sincere, covenanted devotion to other believers in a church will inevitably result in something considerably less than a healthy Christian. At best it gives rise to spiritual eccentricity. At worst...well, I fear it often results in missing Jesus Christ altogether. God has so designed the Christian life that we need our brothers and sisters in the Lord. We need to be disciplined by living in a covenanted relationship with them. We need the encouragement that comes from fellowship and the correction that comes from conflict.


This quote is from a blog entry by Tom Ascol over at Founders Ministries Blog. As I recently studied through 1 Corinthians I was given an even greater appreciation and love for the local church. But I must admit that my affections for and actions toward my chuch body are not always consistent. I need work in this area, as well as all other areas that fall under the category of my obedience to Christ. So let me know what you think of the article.

Saved by Grace Alone,
Russ

No comments:

Blog Archive